He was a founding Council Member of the previous Institute Perekabentuk Dalaman Malaysia (IPDM) and stayed on from its formation in 1991 till dissolution in 2011, becoming its President from 2004-2006. He also initiated the formation of the current Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID) whilst being IPDM President in 2005.
An Architect and Interior Designer by qualification and registration, he holds a Bachelor of Architecture (Honors) degree from the University of New South Wales, Australia and is a double Fellow Member of both the Malaysian Institute of Architects (PAM) and the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID) and currently sits in the Board of Architects (LAM – the legislative body for Architects and Interior Designers), Malaysia as a Board Member (2015-2017).
Sits on the following committees and council of LAM:
- Promotion & Publication Committee
- Registration & CPD Committee
- Practice Committee
- Surveillance & Enforcement Committee
- ID Examinations Panel Member
- Architectural Examination Council
He has won awards for his Interior Design Projects in Malaysia and currently runs practices of Chris Yap Architect and Spatial Factors (Interior Designer). He is also a Managing Director and Director of Project Management Companies – Spatial Factors Sdn Bhd and Idea Consult Sdn Bhd, all based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Ar. Chris Yap has vast experiences in Interior Design projects involving planning and design for Retail and Office interiors. His forte is in Interior Design project management assignments, combining his Architectural know how to deliver Interior Design projects timely, within budget and in accordance to Authority’s requirements. He is the Principal Submitting Person and Architect for most of his Interior Design projects, including Residential bungalows and Commercial renovation projects. Some of his recent projects include the 5-Star Sepang Goldcoast Resort and Spa, Alliance Bank Headquarters Offices and the project which he regarded as ‘most tensioned but highly enjoyable’, Pertubuhan Architect Malaysia (PAM) Centre at Jalan Tanduk, Bangsar in Kuala Lumpur.
Papers delivered by Ar. Chris Yap over the past include:
- About IPDM and its Role in Malaysian Interior Design (IFI General Assembly, Copenhagen)
- The Architect as an Interior Designer (PAM Sabah Chapter, Kota Kinabalu)
- The Interior Design Profession (Taylors University, Subang)
- MTIB talk – The Use of Timber in Interior Design (Kota Kinabalu)
- Architecture ad Interior Design as a Career (UCSI, Kuala Lumpur)
- About The Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (Reka Session Talk, Kota Kinabalu)
- Introduction to Interior Design Profession and Industry, Appointment And Scale Of Fees, Towards A Successful Interior Design Project, Professional Responsibilities, Workflow & Planning, Principles Of Interior Design (Kursus Rekabentuk Dalaman for JKR)
- The Architects Act 1967 and Architect Rules 1996 (rev 2015) and the Implication for Interior Designers.
Ar. Chris Yap SC
FPAM, FMIID, MMGBC, RDI (USA)
Architect ● Interior Designer